Sunday 20 January 2013

Week 116: Finding local musicians

Hi Guys!
I've been looking for a guitarist to play with. There are several I've met but they are foreigners like myself and with other jobs. I've been down that road before which is great for doing covers or just having fun with music as a hobby.

I'd like to find local musicians, those that are dedicated and managing to live from their music. So I've been to see a few bands and I'm talking to friends that know these musicians. There was a great funk party this weekend that was closed down by the police on Sunday afternoon. It took place at 33/45, a venue I've written about before. This time I had a chance to chat with the musicians during and after the gig.
I chatted to Khaoula  bouchkhi (she joined the band for a few songs and when she sang her first line the crowd were gobsmacked (see alternative English dictionary) 'what a voice'!) and met the rest of the band. EMPTY POCKETS are a funky force full of energy, a jam group. Their founder, keyboard and pianist Adel Boquera told me they had just been playing together for 2 weeks and decided to perform at 33/45. Adel gave me his details and also told me he was responsible for the Superfly Parties in Barcelona: http://www.superflyparty.com/ (The finest Funk & Soul).

Checkout their next event on Jan 20th on their Facebook Events page

I really enjoyed watching the musicians, they were all great and having a good time performing. I found the drummer amazing. His name is Caspar St Charles, from London, so it was great to have a chat with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment